Monday, March 12, 2012

Matthew 5:13-16 Are You the Salt and the Light?

Prayer for Today
Father, I worship you and give YOUR Name the praise. For you alone are worthy of all the praise. I invite you to step in this place and take control. I submit to Your will, Your Word and Way. Holy Spirit direct my steps and guide me on my way. What is it that I can do for You, the Body of Christ and the Kingdom today.

Father, help me stay in my lane. You called me to be the salt and set me apart as a light. Don't let me lose my saltiness or allow my light go dim. Led me to the places YOU have prepared for me to enter, set my feet on that path, fix my eyes and ears to see and hear as I submit my entire body as a living sacrifice for Your use.

Today's Key to Walking in the Spirit


Questions: Who have you salted or brought light to today? Are you the salt and the light?

After Jesus taught the beatitudes to the multitudes He immediately preached to them about squandering their blessings. Apparently the mass mentality of the day was much like the masses today in that we are unaware of the power we have in being the salt and light. The key for today is simple, become aware you are the salt and the light. Act like it. (Note: if you are the salt and the light it goes without saying. It simply apparent.)

Thought for Today

As I studied this Word, I experienced an ah ha moment. Literally, my brain went ding-ding!!! Salt and light have a specific purpose to be salt and light. If you were to get a box of Morton Salt and season your food, then taste that same food only to discover it had no flavor--you would throw box away. For salt without favor is useless. Likewise, you without God's purpose would be useless. We all have a God purpose. I do mean all. Good, bad, or indifferent there is a God purpose for your life.  It is up to you to be aware of what it is.  Similarly, light that doesn't shed light is useless. Imagine flipping the on switch for a lamp that did not illuminate the room. How quickly would get another bulb that worked?Why then do we stay in lifestyles that don't work and add nothing to God's purpose? Why, do we toil when the Father created us to tend? We missed the purpose of being so blessed just like the multitudes Jesus strategically positioned in that day to see how blessed they were   You must understand God's uses your situations to align you His plan and purpose. However, if you remain unaware it is because you have not bothered to study to show yourself a workman that can rightly divide the Truth, so you continue without.

For demonstration sake let's look at the message in Beatitude Sermon (Matthew 5:2-12 NIV), I boldfaced text to emphasize. If, you truly believed the Word of God, you would never doubt you have a purpose, reason for being and something to do. That is to be the salt and the light to bless others. That's not complicated.

The Beatitudes
    He said:
   3 “Blessed are the poor in spirit,
   for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. 
4 Blessed are those who mourn,
   for they will be comforted. 
5 Blessed are the meek,
   for they will inherit the earth. 
6 Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness,
   for they will be filled. 
7 Blessed are the merciful,
   for they will be shown mercy.
8 Blessed are the pure in heart,
   for they will see God. 
9 Blessed are the peacemakers,
   for they will be called children of God.
10 Blessed are those who are persecuted because of righteousness,
   for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
   11 “Blessed are you when people insult you, persecute you and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of me. 12 Rejoice and be glad, because great is your reward in heaven, for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you.

When circumstances and troubles arise they position for blessings. You must be aware of  the power and strength in knowing you obtain the rewards: the kingdom of heaven, called the children of God, great reward, mercy, comfort, and filling etc. So when, they who are struggling without God and  have not experienced the blessings of God get exposed to your saltiness and the light radiating from you, they come, seek, knock and ask and they obtain. 
I Dare You to be the salt and the light.


Today's Scripture Reading (Matthew 5: 13-16 NIV)


  13 “You are the salt of the earth. But if the salt loses its saltiness, how can it be made salty again? It is no longer good for anything, except to be thrown out and trampled underfoot.
   14 “You are the light of the world. A town built on a hill cannot be hidden. 15 Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house. 16 In the same way, let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven.




1 comment:

  1. Thank you for this for this thought provoking NJS

    ReplyDelete